Thursday, December 28, 2006


chapter XXI

The day Shilpi is scheduled to leave has come. I didn’t sleep at all the previous night and in the morning I decline to let Shilpi massage me the way she has done every other day of our honeymoon. She asks why I was fidgeting all night and I simply make up some lame excuse.

Learning that the cooks are planning to use some of the coconuts and bananas from our garden this morning, I take them out to the verandah to photograph them before they are cooked. While setting up my tripod, Shilpi rushes around the corner with a wild look of terror on her face. She appears haunted, as if she has just been informed that someone has died. I say nothing and turn my back to her as I have to finish my photos before the cooks come to take their ingredients. I remember how I photographed her in this exact spot the first morning she arrived.

After my shower, I enter the alter room to take of my morning religious duties. As I go through the motions, I hear Shilpi begin to exercise the harmonium in another bedroom. The sad, discordant howl is too much for me and I call out the door to Ma;

“Please tell her to stop that.”

Understanding, Ma does so without question and the house becomes silent again.

Holding back the tears as I finish my rituals, I notice some movement at the doorway. Through the minute crack between the door and its frame, I see a heavy eye watching me.

Esho.

“Come.”

Shilpi pushes the door aside and enters, her eyes blood red. We look at each other deeply for a moment and I turn towards the alter to kowtow. Shilpi follows my lead and we silently we offer our respects to God, both fully aware that we would never see each other again in this life.

please continue to
chapter XXII


No comments: