Thursday, December 28, 2006


chapter XVIIII

Ma and Baba thoughtfully leave Shilpi and I alone almost daily, finding excuses to go out of the house and run errands. It has almost become a ritual that Shilpi immediately comes to me as soon as the door closes. She then wraps her powerful arms around my neck, and kisses me deeply on my lips with closed eyes.

Tomar sate narake zabo.

“I would follow you to hell.”

Shilpi recieves phone calls almost daily from her youngest uncle, Amal. They are the same age and have a very close relationship.

How close, I would gradually come to know.

Apparently, Amal is Shilpi's one and only friend. Before our marriage, she knew nobody except in Calcutta, except her blood family. Since Shilpi would rarely leave the house, Amal had to do all of her shopping for her. Even her panties, bras, and feminine necessities were purchased by him.

One afternoon Amal pays us a visit. Tall, black, and ugly, I have never been too impressed with him. Moreover, his Bangladeshi accent is so thick that I can barely understand him at all. Mostly I leave them alone in the living room to talk.

After Amal left, Shilpi remains at the window for a solid hour crying. After some time, I approach her to offer some comfort, but she pushes me away. I try not to be offended and leave her to her emotions.

Later that evening Shilpi informs me that Amal had been watching her standing in the window from the street for some time.

Ama'ke bhustapare.

"He understands me."

Please continue to
chapter XX



No comments: